Prevent the Fading of Home Furnishings
As much as we love natural light in our homes, one of the downsides of direct sunlight is the damage wrought by UV radiation to furnishings, electronics, artwork, and rugs. The technical term for fading is “photo-degradation”, where ultraviolet rays from the sun break down chemical bonds causing colour to bleach or fade. Objects that are naturally more reflective don’t tend to fade as much as objects that absorb light such as textiles and fabric.
How Does Sunlight Fade Things?
Sunlight is basically made up of three elements:
- Visible light: This enables us to see.
- Infrared light: We feel it as warmth and heat.
- Ultraviolet light: Invisible and we can’t feel it, but it’s the lead factor in fading.
What is Prone to Fading?
- Wood: Wood that’s been treated with stains or finishes tend to darken over time with prolonged exposure to direct UV rays, while natural wood can fade and bleach.
- Fabrics: Many factors can determine which fabrics are prone to fading, including fibre type, dye colour and pattern. Fabric cost isn’t a factor, and unfortunately many valuable or priceless textiles have been destroyed by UV radiation.
- Artwork: Watercolours and other delicate media are at a higher risk for fading than say an oil painting. However sculptures, portraits, photographs are all vulnerable to fading due to overexposure to the sun.
- Occupants: Believe it or not, the sun’s harmful UV rays damage far more than furniture and fabrics. Here’s what the Skin Cancer Foundation says about UV rays: “Not only can they cause skin cancer and visible signs of aging, they’re also very good at finding you. They can bounce off water, off sand, and they can penetrate glass. Which means that even if you’re inside your car or house, if you’re sitting next to a window with sunlight streaming in, you’re at risk for UV damage. Window film is an increasingly effective solution, offering substantial indoor protection by blocking up to 99.9 percent of UVA radiation.
What Do We Suggest?
Solar window film is a proven, quick, simple and permanent solution to fading due to the UV rays finding their way into your home. Increase the comfort of your home by installing UV blocking window film that drastically reduces fading, skin damage, hot spots and glare. Tinted window film also reduces your energy consumption, which in turn saves you money on utility bills. Find out how, by contacting us.